Perfect for an easy lunch or dinner, this Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Tenders Salad features crispy chicken tenders dipped in a homemade, buffalo-style hot sauce, placed on a crisp salad and topped with a cool and creamy dairy-free homemade ranch dressing. Paleo, Whole30, and low FODMAP (at 1 serving) as well as egg-free.
- ½ cup blanched almond flour
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 large chicken breasts, sliced lengthwise into ½" strips
- ¼ cup tapioca flour
- 2 tbsp garlic-infused olive oil
- Avocado oil cooking spray
- 2 hearts of romaine, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, coarsely-shredded
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 bunch scallions, green tops only, chopped
- 1 red pepper, diced
- Your other favourite salad ingredients
- ½ batch of my Dairy-Free Homemade Ranch Dressing Recipe (Paleo, Whole30, Low FODMAP)*
- Preheat air fryer to 370° F for 10 minutes. While your air fryer preheats, combine almond flour, sea salt, paprika, and pepper in a large bowl, whisk to combine, and set aside. Place chicken strips in another large bowl. Add tapioca flour to the bowl and toss with your hands to coat the strips evenly. Add the garlic-infused oil and toss again to coat. Dredge each strip in the almond flour mixture, shaking off the excess, and set on a plate.
- Once your air fryer has preheated, spray the pan with cooking spray. Using tongs, place half of the breaded chicken strips in the pan in one layer, ideally not touching one another. Spray the strips lightly with cooking spray. Air fry for 12 minutes, flipping half way through. Once the first batch has cooked, place on a clean plate using a clean set of tongs and set aside. Using tongs, take one of the thickest strips out of the air fryer and check its temperature using an instant read thermometer. The temperature of cooked chicken should be at least 165° F (75° C) to be safely consumed. Once the first batch is the proper temperature, repeat these steps for the second half of the strips.
- While the chicken strips are frying, prepare a half-batch of my dairy-free homemade ranch dressing recipe, cover, and refrigerate until ready to serve. Chop the ingredients under "salad," place in a large serving bowl, and refrigerate.
- A minute or two before the chicken strips are done, in a large bowl, add the ingredients under "buffalo sauce," whisk to combine and set aside until all the chicken strips are cooked. If the sauce solidifies, microwave it (covered) for about 20 seconds and whisk again.
- Once the second batch of strips has finished cooking, if desired, place the first batch back in the air fryer on top of the second batch and air fry at 370° F for a minute or so until heated (I typically skip this step as they're going on a cold salad anyway). Using tongs, take each strip out of the air fryer, dip in the buffalo sauce until fully-coated and place on a plate. Chop strips horizontally into small pieces if desired and serve on top of the salad with the ranch dressing.
- *...or make a full batch to use with other things, like my Air Fryer French Fries, perhaps? Make things easier by making the ranch the night before - it also gives it time for the flavours to meld.
- **I like a little heat but not a lot, so I typically use Louisiana Hot Sauce, which is mildly spicy. If you like lots of heat, I recommend using Tobasco Original Red Pepper Sauce. If you're not concerned with FODMAPs, you can use Frank's RedHot Original Hot Sauce and skip the garlic-infused olive oil.
- Please note: Some people react poorly to food that's spicy regardless of whether or not it is low FODMAP. Be mindful of how your body reacts to spicy food and consult your doctor or dietitian before making this recipe if you have concerns about how your body might react.
- Recipe adapted from The Paleo Running Mama
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Air Fryer
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: air fryer, air fryer chicken tenders, air fryer buffalo chicken, buffalo chicken salad, salad recipes, paleo, whole30, low FODMAP, egg-free