This easy low FODMAP, lactose-free Tzatziki (Greek cucumber sauce/dip) recipe makes a simple and refreshing low FODMAP appetizer, snack or condiment that's perfect for spring and summer dishes.
- 1 cup English cucumber, seeded but unpeeled (about ½ of a large English cucumber)
- 1 cup lactose-free plain Greek yogurt*
- 2 ½ tbsp garlic-infused olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice, freshly-squeezed
- 1 tbsp fresh dill, minced, plus more for optional garnish
- 1 tsp sea salt, divided
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1-4 tbsp unsweetened almond milk (or lactose-free milk of choice)
- Place a fine mesh sieve / strainer over the sink or an extra-large bowl. Coarsely shred cucumber until you have 1 cup. Using your hands, gently-squeeze cucumber over sieve to release water (doing this in a few small handfuls if needed) and then place in the sieve. Sprinkle ¾ tsp of sea salt over the cucumber and toss with your hands until it is evenly coated in salt. Allow to drain in the sieve for about 10 minutes.
- While the cucumber is draining, in a large bowl, whisk together Greek yogurt, garlic-infused olive oil, dill, lemon juice, salt and pepper until well combined.
- Once the cucumber is done draining, add it to the large bowl with the yogurt mixture and stir with a spoon until well combined.
- Adding 1 tbsp at a time, stir in almond milk until you reach your desired consistency.
- Serve as a sauce or spread for gyros, doner kebab, meatballs, burgers (like my Juicy Turkey Burgers) or other grilled meats, as a dip for chips, crudités, and crackers, or as a dressing for salads and bowls, such as my upcoming Chicken Shawarma Quinoa Bowl.
- Store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Stir well before reserving.
- *If you're not lactose-intolerant, regular (non-lactose free) plain Greek yogurt also works. Full fat (4% MF) obviously offers the best flavour, but I have also used 2% MF and 0% MF with delicious success.
- Total yield: about 2 1/2 cups at a serving size of 1/4 cup.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: By-hand
- Cuisine: Greek
Keywords: low fodmap tzatziki, tzatziki sauce, tzatziki dip, greek tzatziki, greek cucumber dip, condiment, lactose-free, spring recipes, summer recipes