This sweet and tangy low FODMAP BBQ sauce is easy to make and great for weeknight dinners, game night appetizers, and summer barbecues. It's also Paleo compliant and refined sugar-free. Make it a day in advance to achieve even better flavor!
- 2 cups strained tomatoes
- 3/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos
- 2 tablespoons garlic-infused olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne (optional, lessen or omit for less heat)
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)*
- In a medium sauce pan (mine is 2 quarts), whisk together all of the ingredients.
- Set sauce pan over medium-high heat and bring to a low boil; reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes, whisking occasionally, or until your desired thickness.
- Remove from heat, and once it's cool enough, taste the sauce and adjust seasonings to your taste.
- Let cool for about 10-15 minutes before applying to meat; cool to room temperature before refrigerating.
- Apply to your favorite meats, like my Low FODMAP Instant Pot Pulled Pork or my Low FODMAP Instant Pot BBQ Pork Ribs. Store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for 7-10 days.
- *While it has not yet been tested by Monash University for FODMAP content, certain brands of liquid smoke only contain water and hickory smoke concentrate, which is a natural byproduct of burning wood. See the post above for additional information.
- This barbecue sauce recipe makes about 4 cups or 32 ounces of barbecue sauce. This makes about 16 - 1/4 cup sized servings.
- Update: 6/22/21 - tweaked ingredients and instructions to improve the flavor and viscosity of the sauce.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Condiment & Seasoning Mix
- Method: Simmer
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: low fodmap bbq sauce, low fodmap barbecue sauce, fodmap bbq sauce, low fodmap bbq sauce recipe, low fodmap bbq recipes, garlic free bbq sauce recipe, low fodmap condiments, paleo, refined sugar-free