A very, very loose interpretation of chili con carne, this Low FODMAP Instant Pot Chili con Canada contains low FODMAP ingredients so flavorful and hearty that you won't even miss the beans! This recipe is also low FODMAP (at 1 serving) with easy Paleo, Keto and low carb options. And don't forget to add the "Canada!" Spicy food warning: although low FODMAP, this recipe contains ingredients that are spicy, which may cause problematic symptoms in some people with IBS. Please note: since its original posting, certain ingredients in this recipe have been retested for FODMAPs by Monash University. See notes below for further information.
- 2 tablespoons garlic-infused olive oil *
- 1/2 cup leek, green leaves only, chopped**
- 1 red bell pepper, diced*****
- 1 cup king oyster mushrooms, quartered lengthwise then sliced horizontally****
- 1 jalapeño pepper, minced (optional)***
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 28 ounce can diced tomatoes, with juice, or 3 cups fresh common tomatoes and their juice, diced
- 1 cup canned lentils, drained and well-rinsed (optional, omit for Paleo or Keto/low carb)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chili powder***
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes***
- 2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup (a.k.a. "Canada" - omit or use Keto-friendly maple syrup for Keto)
- 2 tablespoons scallions, green parts only, for garnish (optional)
- Hit "Sauté" on your 6-quart Instant Pot, 8-quart Instant Pot, or comparable electric pressure cooker and add the garlic-infused olive oil. Once the display reads "Hot," add the leek, red bell pepper, mushrooms, and jalapeño (if using) to the pot and stir fry for 3 minutes.
- Add the ground beef and ground pork to the pot, breaking up the meat with a plastic spoon, and stir fry with the vegetables for 7 minutes or until the meat is no longer pink. Hit "Cancel" on the Instant Pot.
- Stir in the can of tomatoes and scrape the bottom of the pot clean with a plastic spoon (it should be quite clean already, but it's good to check). Stir in lentils and finally, your "Canada:" the pure maple syrup. Close the lid, turn the pressure release valve to "Sealing," hit the "Pressure Cook" or "Manual" button, and set timer to 30 minutes.
- Once the cooking cycle has completed, quick release the pressure, open the lid, and stir the chili. Once it's cool enough, taste and adjust seasonings and maple syrup to your liking.
- *If you're not concerned with FODMAPS, you can use regular olive oil and add 3 cloves of minced garlic. Add them about 30 seconds before the end of the 3 minute veggie stir fry.
- **If you're not concerned with FODMAPs and prefer not to use leek, sub 1/2 chopped sweet or white onion.
- ***Please note: These items are low in FODMAPs, but some people react poorly to spicy food regardless of whether it is low FODMAP. Be mindful of how your body reacts to spicy food and consult your doctor or dietitian before making this recipe if you have concerns about how your body might react.
- ****An 8 ounce can of canned sliced mushrooms, drained and well-rinsed, can also be used.
- *****This recipe was posted prior to Monash University retesting red bell pepper for FODMAPs. While their previous tests reported them to be FODMAP-free, their more recent tests show they contain the FODMAP fructose and are low FODMAP in quantities of up to 1/3 cup per serving. When eaten in combination with canned tomatoes, which also contain fructose, this has the potential for FODMAP stacking. If you are able to tolerate fructose or had no problems with red bell peppers + canned tomatoes in the past, this may not be an issue for you.
- If adapting for Keto / low carb, omit lentils and maple syrup or use a Keto-friendly maple syrup. Without the lentils and pure maple syrup, this recipe contains the following macros: Fat: 17 g, Total Carbs: 6.2 g, Net carbs: 3.9 g, Protein: 23.4 g, Dietary Fiber: 2.3 g.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Soup & Stew
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Tex-Mex
Keywords: low fodmap chili, fodmap chili, low fodmap chilli, low fodmap chili con carne, low fodmap texas chili, low fodmap instant pot chili, low fodmap instant pot recipes, low fodmap keto recipes, low fodmap paleo recipes, low fodmap keto chili, low fodmap tex-mex recipes, low fodmap lunch recipes, low fodmap dinner recipes