A homemade, dairy-free version of a classic soup, this Instant Pot Cream of Mushroom Soup is the perfect way to warm up on a chilly day! This simple soup recipe is Paleo and Whole30 compliant but is not low FODMAP.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 lb white button mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tbsp fresh thyme (or 1/2 tsp dried thyme)
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 3 cups chicken bone broth
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp full-fat coconut milk, divided
- 2 tsp tapioca flour
- Hit "Saute" on your Instant Pot Pressure Cooker and add the olive oil to the pot. Once the display reads "Hot," add the chopped onion and sauté until the onion starts to brown, about 6 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the sliced mushrooms, garlic, thyme, sea salt and pepper to the pot and stir fry for another 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Hit cancel on the Instant Pot. Add the chicken broth and 1 cup of the coconut milk and stir well to combine. Scrape the bottom of the pot clean with a plastic spoon.
- Close the lid and set the pressure release valve to "Sealing." Press the "Pressure Cook" or "Manual" button and set the timer for 5 minutes.
- Once the cooking cycle has completed, quick release the pressure. Carefully ladle 1-2 cups (depending on how chunky you'd like your soup) into a heat-resistant measuring cup or bowl. Blend the soup remaining in the Instant Pot with an immersion blender until smooth. Add the reserved soup back into the Instant Pot and stir. Skip this step if you'd like your soup completely smooth.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk together 2 tsp of tapioca flour with 2 tbsp of coconut milk. Hit the "Saute" button on the Instant Pot and wait about 30 seconds for the soup to boil. Slowly pour in the flour/milk mixture while constantly stirring the soup, until it thickens, about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Hit "Cancel" on the Instant Pot. Once it's cool enough, taste the soup and adjust the salt and pepper as necessary. If the soup tastes too coconutty, add more salt and pepper until the coconut flavour dissipates and you no longer taste any coconut.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Soup & Stew
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cream of mushroom soup, instant pot cream of mushroom, instant pot recipes, instant pot soup, soup recipes, dairy-free cream of mushroom, paleo, whole30, dairy-free