This warm and tangy Low FODMAP Instant Pot German Potato Salad is the perfect side dish for Oktoberfest celebrations, summer or early fall barbecues, or everyday lunch or dinner year-round! Low FODMAP, Paleo, dairy-free and refined sugar-free.
- 1.5 pounds mini red potatoes, sliced into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 cup cold water
- 5 slices of nitrate free, low sodium bacon, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces*
- 1 medium stalk celery, finely chopped**
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar***
- 1/4 cup low FODMAP chicken bone broth
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard****
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup scallions, green parts only, chopped
- Chopped chives, for garnish (optional)
- Add 1 cup of cold water to your 6-quart Instant Pot, 8-quart Instant Pot, or comparable electric pressure cooker and place a vegetable steamer basket into the inner pot. Evenly disburse the sliced potatoes on top of the vegetable steamer. Close the lid of the Instant Pot, set the pressure release valve to “Sealing,” hit the “Pressure Cook” or “Manual” button, and set the timer for 2 minutes.
- While the potatoes are cooking, chop celery, capers, and scallions. Add apple cider vinegar, chicken bone broth, chopped capers, maple syrup, Dijon mustard, salt and paprika to a small bowl and whisk to combine. This is the German potato salad dressing. Set aside.
- Once the cooking cycle has completed, quick release the pressure on the Instant Pot. Open the lid and allow the steam to dissipate for a few seconds. Using a large spoon, scoop the potatoes into a large bowl, and cover the bowl with a plate to keep the potatoes warm. Remove vegetable steamer and dump water out of the inner pot into the sink. Dry the inner pot with paper towels and place back into the Instant Pot. Hit “Sauté” on the Instant Pot. While the pot is heating up, add bacon pieces (I use scissors to cut the bacon strips directly over the pot), and sauté until crisp, about 8-9 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon pieces to a plate covered with paper towel and remove all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat from the pot. Add celery and sauté for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the apple cider vinegar mixture from the small bowl, using a spatula to get every bit of dressing from the bowl into the Instant Pot. Scrape the bottom of the pot clean with a plastic spoon. Allow liquid in the pot to come to a boil and reduce slightly, then hit “Cancel” on the Instant Pot. Remove the inner pot from the Instant Pot to a hot pad on the counter. Add potatoes, bacon, and scallions, and gently stir to coat in dressing, ensuring the dressing gets in between slices of potatoes that may be stuck together. Serve warm.
- *Bacon is high in fat. According to Monash University's Low FODMAP Diet App, fat affects gut motility. When consumed in excess, can be an IBS symptom trigger.
- **Celery is low FODMAP in quantities of up to 1/4 of a medium stalk stalk or 10 grams per serving.
- ***Apple cider vinegar is low FODMAP in quantities of up to 2 tablespoons or 42 grams per serving.
- ****Dijon mustard is low FODMAP in quantities of up to 1 tablespoon or 23 grams per serving.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Time to Come to and Release Pressure: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: German
Keywords: low fodmap potato salad, low fodmap german potato salad, low fodmap kartoffelsalat, low fodmap side dish, low fodmap side salad, low fodmap salad, low fodmap potato salad with bacon, low fodmap salad, low fodmap instant pot recipes, low fodmap potato recipes, low fodmap cookout side dishes, low fodmap warm potato salad, paleo german potato salad, refined sugar-free german potato salad