Transport yourself to warm, summertime barbecues by taking just one bite of this Low FODMAP Instant Pot BBQ Pulled Pork slathered with low FODMAP BBQ Sauce. Fall-apart tender and full of flavor, the Instant Pot makes this delectable, low FODMAP Southern BBQ dish enjoyable year-round! Paleo (without the bun) and gluten-free. Make the low FODMAP BBQ Sauce a day in advance for even better flavor!
- 3-4 pounds pork shoulder
- 2 tablespoons garlic-infused olive oil
Low FODMAP BBQ Pulled Pork Dry Rub:
- 2 tablespoons maple sugar (coconut sugar also works if not low FODMAP)
- 1 tablespoon dried chives
- 2 teaspoons ancho chili powder (regular chili powder works, too!)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
Low FODMAP BBQ Sauce:
- A full batch of my low FODMAP BBQ sauce recipe**
- 1 cup cold water
- Start by making a full batch of my low FODMAP BBQ Sauce recipe, or make it a day in advance to achieve even better flavor.
- While the BBQ sauce is simmering, dry pork shoulder with paper towels and chop into 6 equal(ish) pieces.
- In a small bowl, add low FODMAP pulled pork dry rub ingredients and whisk to combine.
- Cover each piece of the pulled pork on all sides. I typically just dip each piece into the rub, or you can apply the rub to the pork with your hands.
- Once the BBQ sauce is done simmering, remove from heat and allow to cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Hit the "Sauté" button on your 6-quart Instant Pot, 8-quart Instant Pot, or comparable electric pressure cooker, and add the garlic-infused olive oil. Once the display reads "Hot," using tongs, add half of the pork pieces and sear each side for 1 minute. Remove seared pork to a plate and repeat for the remaining pieces of pork.
- Once all of the pork pieces are seared and removed from the pot, hit "Cancel" on the Instant Pot and slowly pour 1 cup of cold water into the pot. Scrape the bottom of the pot clean with a plastic spoon.
- Once the BBQ sauce has cooled for 10-15 minutes, add half of the sauce to the Instant Pot and stir to combine with the water. Add all of the pork back into the pot and cover with sauce on all sides. Scrape any pork juices left on the plate into the pot using a spatula (leave no flavor behind!).
- Close the lid, set pressure release valve to sealing, hit the "Pressure Cook" or "Manual" button, and set timer for 60 minutes.
- Once the cooking cycle has completed, hit "Cancel" on the Instant Pot and quick release pressure. Open lid, and using a slotted spoon, carefully remove pork to a platter or bowl. Using two forks, pull pork apart. Add the remaining BBQ sauce (as much as you'd like - you may not need all of it) to the pork and stir to coat. Serve on a gluten-free bun (not for Paleo), potato bun, baked potato or sweet potato (not for low FODMAP), or another starch of your choosing.
- Serve with Low FODMAP Coleslaw, Low FODMAP Air Fryer French Fries, Low FODMAP Cornbread, or your favorite side dish.
*Cooking time does not reflect the time required to make the low FODMAP BBQ Sauce.
**You could potentially make this with a store-bought BBQ sauce (32 ounces), but I have not tested this with one myself, so I cannot guarantee that you will not get a burn error as some store-bought BBQ sauces are thicker/starchier than others. If your sauce is particularly thick, you can always add more water to the pot to try to prevent burn errors.
Adapted from Slick Housewives
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: low fodmap BBQ pulled pork, low FODMAP pulled pork, low fodmap instant pot pulled pork, low fodmap pork recipes, low fodmap BBQ pulled pork, low FODMAP BBQ sauce, low FODMAP instant pot recipes, instant pot low fodmap recipes, low FODMAP pork rub, paleo pulled pork, paleo low fodmap pulled pork, gluten-free