Refreshing and healthy while bringing an explosion of Mexican flavours and spices to your palate, this low FODMAP taco salad can be made with beef, chicken or turkey and is perfect for a quick, healthy lunch (which could be made in advance!) or an easy weeknight dinner. Low FODMAP, Paleo and Whole30 compliant, dairy-free and gluten-free.
- 1 lb ground beef, chicken, or turkey
- 2 ½ tbsp low FODMAP taco seasoning (homemade or store-bought)
- 2 tbsp garlic-infused olive oil
- 1/3 cup water
- 6 cups green leaf or romaine lettuce (or your favourite greens), chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, shredded
- ½ cup scallions, dark green parts only, chopped
- ¼ cup red radish, thinly sliced or shredded (optional)
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish (optional)
- Your other favourite salad ingredients
- ½ batch of my Dairy-Free Homemade Ranch Dressing (Low FODMAP, Paleo & Whole30) (or a full batch if you plan to use it for other things)
- If using, prepare homemade taco seasoning and homemade ranch dressing. Cover and place ranch dressing in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Prepare salad ingredients, place in a large bowl, and toss with salad tongs (if desired). Set aside.
- Set a large skillet on medium heat. Once hot, add ground beef, chicken, or turkey, breaking up with a spatula into smaller pieces. Sauté until meat is fully browned, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low. Drain grease from skillet and return skillet to heat.
- Add taco seasoning, garlic infused olive oil, and water to the skillet and stir until meat is thoroughly coated. Simmer on low heat, stirring occasionally, until most of the moisture in the pan has been absorbed, about 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Taste the meat and adjust seasoning levels as desired (add salt to taste if your taco seasoning doesn’t contain it). Scrape meat from skillet to a small bowl to cool for 1-2 minutes.
- Serve meat on top of or tossed in salad ingredients, topped with ranch dressing. I typically keep the salad, meat, and dressing in separate bowls and allow everyone to serve themselves.
- Prep time reflects the time it takes to prepare the salad only and does not include time to prepare the dressing or taco seasoning.
- Nutritional information includes that for the salad only, made with beef, and does not include nutritional information for the homemade ranch dressing. View that post for ranch dressing nutritional details.
- Category: Salad
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: low fodmap taco salad, whole30 taco salad, paleo taco salad, dairy-free, gluten-free, easy dinner, easy lunch, make-ahead, spring recipes, summer recipes