If you like Italian food as much as I do, then you're going to LOVE this recipe for homemade Low FODMAP Italian Seasoning! Made with low FODMAP dried herbs and spices, this homemade low FODMAP Italian seasoning mix makes Italian cooking so much easier! It takes less than 5 minutes to whip up and uses herbs and spices that you probably already have on hand. This recipe is also naturally Keto, low carb, Paleo and Whole30 compliant as long as there are no additives or sugar in the herbs and spices you're using (check your labels!).
Developing this Low FODMAP Italian Seasoning Recipe
Unlike the majority of my other recipes, this one doesn't have a long backstory in terms of what inspired me to create it. I have some low FODMAP Italian recipes coming up in the near future that I'm pretty excited about, so I felt the need to post this now to be prepared. I kind of wish I would have created this sooner as it's so dang tasty and convenient!
Generally-speaking, lots of recipes call for Italian seasoning mix rather than adding the herbs individually to a dish. It's certainly more convenient and efficient to use a pre-made seasoning mix than than adding multiple different herbs and spices to a dish. Prior to my low FODMAP eating days, I would just buy a pre-made Italian seasoning mix and throw it in whatever recipe I needed it for. Unfortunately, a lot store-bought Italian seasoning mixes contain some sort of high FODMAP ingredient, like onions, garlic or green pepper. Some even contain sugar or other additives.
Can't I buy low FODMAP Italian seasoning at the store?
Yes, you can. While doing research for this recipe, I did come across some commercially-produced Italian seasoning mixes that are low FODMAP. I have not personally tried any of these and can't speak to their flavor or quality, but they do exist. They include:
- McCormick Italian Seasoning
- Simply Organic Italian Seasoning
- Club House Italian Seasoning (a brand of McCormick Canada)
However, I don't plan on buying it anymore as it's just so easy to make at home. If you'd prefer to make it, too - this recipe is for you!
Italian Herbs & Spices
To create this recipe, I researched herbs and spices commonly used in Italian dishes. Oregano and basil are typically used in larger quantities, so I have these two represented in larger quantities in my recipe. Thyme, sage, marjoram, and chives are also commonly used in Italian cooking. I also chose dried chives as they are a low FODMAP substitute for onion and garlic, which are common to commercially-produced Italian seasoning mixes.
The only spice that isn't traditionally used in Italian cooking is red pepper flakes, also known as crushed red pepper. I love a little bit of "bite" in tomatoey dishes, so I often add red pepper flakes to my cooking. If you don't like spicy food, or if your stomach doesn't tolerate it well, the red pepper flakes are completely optional. Although red pepper flakes are low in FODMAPs according to Monash University's Low FODMAP Diet App, some people respond poorly to them for other reasons. Pay attention to how your body reacts to spicy food and consult your doctor or dietitian before adding red pepper flakes to this recipe if you have concerns about how you may react.
Making Homemade Low FODMAP Italian Seasoning
The process probably requires zero explanation other than what is in the recipe card below. In a bowl or air-tight container, measure out and add all of the herbs and spices listed in the recipe. Stir with a spoon or cover and shake until well combined. I use a small, glass canning jar (like the one pictured above). You just add the herbs and, well - shake, shake, shake it.
What can I use this in?
You can use this low FODMAP Italian seasoning mix in my Low FODMAP Instant Pot Spaghetti and Meatballs One-Pot Meal recipe, my Low FODMAP Instant Pot Chicken Cacciatore recipe, my low FODMAP Bolognese recipe (for the Instant Pot or Slow Cooker), as well as homemade pasta sauce, meatballs, and other Italian dishes. Italian seasoning even tastes great as a seasoning in some non-Italian dishes, like my Low FODMAP Instant Pot / Slow Cooker Beef Stew recipe, my Instant Pot / Slow Cooker Tomato Soup recipe (with low FODMAP option), or Low FODMAP Creamy Bacon Mushroom Chicken Thighs recipe.
Low FODMAP Italian Seasoning (Keto, Paleo, Whole30)
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried chives
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- ¼-½ teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional*
- Add all the listed herbs and spices into a small bowl or air-tight container (such as a glass jar) and stir or cover and shake until well combined.
- Add to your favorite Italian dishes, like my Low FODMAP Instant Pot Spaghetti and Meatballs One-Pot Meal, my Low FODMAP Instant Pot Chicken Cacciatore, or my Low FODMAP Instant Pot / Slow Cooker Bolognese. Also works well with non-Italian dishes, like my Low FODMAP Instant Pot / Slow Cooker Beef Stew, my Instant Pot / Slow Cooker Tomato Soup recipe (with low FODMAP option), or Low FODMAP Creamy Bacon Mushroom Chicken Thighs recipe. Store in an air-tight container.
- Red pepper flakes: Although red pepper flakes are low in FODMAPs, some people respond poorly to them for reasons having nothing to do with FODMAPs. Pay attention to how your body reacts to spicy food and consult your doctor or dietitian before adding red pepper flakes to this recipe if you have concerns about how you may react to it.
- Quantity: Makes about 4 tablespoons.
Leave a Reply