Enhance the flavor of fries, burgers, meatloaf, scrambled eggs (if that's your thing...), and more with this homemade Low FODMAP Ketchup! Easy to make and ready in less than 30 minutes, this low FODMAP ketchup recipe is infinitely healthier than most bottled ketchups in the grocery store and just as delicious, if not more so. In addition to being Low FODMAP, this ketchup recipe is Paleo and refined sugar-free.
Why Homemade Low FODMAP Ketchup is Awesome
North Americans eat massive quantities of ketchup, typically the stuff that comes in a bottle from the store. When I was doing my first Whole30, I was floored to find out that not only do most commercially produced ketchups contain sugar, but they also contain large quantities of high fructose corn syrup. Corn syrup has been linked to leading to chronic inflammation, obesity, and other health issues. That's a double-whammy of added sugars.
While this homemade Low FODMAP ketchup isn't Whole30 compliant, it uses unrefined, natural sweeteners like maple syrup and coconut aminos to achieve its necessary sweetness.
Also, if you're concerned with FODMAPs, many commercially produced ketchups also contain onion and/or garlic powder. Monash University's Low FODMAP Diet App states that up to 13 grams of ketchup (or one sachet, as they call it) is considered low FODMAP. If you're not wanting to restrict yourself to this amount or consume refined sugar, this homemade low FODMAP ketchup recipe is perfect for you.
The equipment I use to make this Low FODMAP Ketchup includes:
- Small saucepan
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Stove top
- Air-tight glass container, such as a jar (for storage)
Low FODMAP Ketchup: Ingredients & Tips for Success
Just like in my Low FODMAP BBQ Sauce recipe, I use strained tomatoes as the tomatoey element for this Low FODMAP Ketchup recipe. As opposed to some canned tomato sauces that sometimes contain added garlic or onion powder, strained tomatoes simply contain tomatoes and salt as ingredients. They are the perfect texture for ketchup and are typically located in the same area as tomato sauce at the grocery store.
Coconut Aminos & Tomato Paste
To create umami flavor in the ketchup, I add coconut aminos, a.k.a. soy sauce substitute or coconut sauce. I also add tomato paste, which enhances the tomato flavor as well as thickens the ketchup.
Apple Cider Vinegar, Pure Maple Syrup & Garlic-Infused Oil
To add acidity to the ketchup, I use apple cider vinegar. Some ketchup recipes call for white vinegar, but I think the flavor of apple cider vinegar pairs better with ketchup's other flavors.
For the sweetness factor without refined sugar, I add pure maple syrup. To add garlicy flavor without garlic (to keep this ketchup recipe low FODMAP), I add a bit of garlic-infused olive oil.
To season the ketchup, I add salt, ground black pepper and a pinch of allspice. My definition of a "pinch" is about 1/16 of a teaspoon. If you don't have allspice on hand and don't wish to buy one spice mix just for this recipe, leave it out. It is not a deal breaker in making this recipe yummy. Or, you can improvise by using a little bit of cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. A little bit of spice goes a long way in this recipe, so be careful not to add too much.
Whisk & Heat
Whisk all of these ingredients together in a small sauce pan. Then, place the sauce pan on medium high heat just until it comes to a low boil. Reduce the heat to low (I turn the dial all the way down to the minimum amount of heat on my stove) and simmer for 20 minutes, whisking occasionally, or until the ketchup reaches your desired thickness.
What do I serve this low FODMAP Ketchup with/on?
Serve this homemade low FODMAP Ketchup with/on your favorite things to eat with ketchup. Here are some of my Low FODMAP recipes whose flavor, although already superb (haha), could be further enhanced with this ketchup:
- Air Fryer French Fries
- Air Fryer Red Potatoes
- Juicy Turkey Burgers
- Instant Pot Meatloaf & Mashed Potatoes
- Air Fryer Fish & Chips
How to Store Homemade Low FODMAP Ketchup
Store this homemade low FODMAP ketchup in an air-tight, glass container in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks. Stir upon reserving. It's always best to do a sniff test and a visual examination of homemade condiments before reusing, even if the 3 weeks have not elapsed. If it looks or smells funky, don't consume it.
More Homemade Low FODMAP Condiment Recipes
If you're interested in making more of your own Low FODMAP condiments at home, check out these recipes:
- BBQ Sauce
- Tartar Sauce
- Ranch Dressing
- Veggie Dill Dip
- Chipotle Mayo (also great with burgers and fries as well as tacos, sandwiches and more!)
- Chimichurri Sauce (great on grilled meats and fish)
- Honey Lime Dressing (a vinaigrette type dressing that also works as a marinade!)
- In a small saucepan, whisk together all the ingredients.
- Set the sauce pan over medium-high heat and bring to a low boil; reduce heat to low (I turn my burner dial down to minimum) and simmer for 20 minutes, whisking occasionally, or until the ketchup is to your desired thickness.
- Remove from heat, and once it’s cool enough, taste the ketchup and adjust the ingredients to your taste.
- Allow to cool for about 10-15 minutes before applying to food; cool to room temperature before refrigerating.
- Enjoy with fries (like my Low FODMAP Air Fryer French Fries), burgers (like my Juicy Low FODMAP Turkey Burgers), meatloaf (like my Low FODMAP Instant Pot Meatloaf & Mashed Potatoes), fish and chips (like my Low FODMAP Air Fryer Fish & Chips), scrambled eggs, or anything you usually eat with ketchup.
- Store fully cooled ketchup in an airtight, glass container in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.
- Makes 1 and ⅛ cups, which is nine 2-tablespoon servings. If you think you might use more ketchup within 3 weeks, double or triple the recipe using the tools in the top right corner of the Ingredients section of this recipe card.
- The photos with the ketchup in the mason jar represent 2 full batches of this recipe.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Condiment & Seasoning Mix
- Method: Simmer
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: low fodmap ketchup, ketchup fodmap, low fodmap condiments, paleo ketchup, refined sugar-free ketchup, paleo condiments