This simple Low FODMAP Air Fryer Broccoli recipe made using either fresh or frozen broccoli gets a easy, delicious and healthy low FODMAP side dish to your table in about 15 minutes! Vegetarian, low carb, Keto, and gluten-free with easy option to make Paleo, Whole30, vegan, and dairy-free.
Is broccoli low FODMAP?
As of the date of this post, Monash University's Low FODMAP Diet App lists broccoli heads (a.k.a. broccoli florets) as containing the FODMAP fructose and as low FODMAP in quantities of up to ¾ cup or 75 grams per serving. Broccoli stalks contain higher quantities of fructose and are low FODMAP in quantities of ⅓ cup or 45 grams per serving.
Just to keep things simple, this recipe calls for broccoli heads / florets only at a ½ cup serving. If you don't eat anything else containing the FODMAP fructose with your meal, you have up to ¾ cup of this broccoli recipe per serving and be right at the maximum tolerable amount for fructose. Otherwise, you may risk FODMAP stacking depending on how much fructose other items in your meal contain.
Why a low FODMAP air fryer recipe for broccoli?
As broccoli is low FODMAP in small quantities as well as low carb and Keto-friendly, I eat broccoli almost everyday in various forms. I had been making an even simpler variation of this recipe in the microwave using frozen broccoli, so I thought why not try the air fryer and see what happens?
When cooked in the air fryer, broccoli gets this beautiful caramelization around the edges, giving it more depth of flavor than could be achieved in the microwave. As it only takes a few minutes longer to prepare and cook, the flavor payoff of using the air fryer to cook broccoli is huge. And, if you're looking for more ways to use your air fryer or are just starting out, this is a great recipe for beginners.
Fresh or Frozen Broccoli
I developed this recipe for both fresh and frozen broccoli as I almost always have frozen broccoli on hand in the freezer. I don't always have fresh broccoli, but when I do, it's nice to have a recipe with which I can use it up! It tastes pretty much the same made from fresh or frozen. Fresh broccoli just takes a little less time to cook and doesn't get as drippy in the air fryer.
- Air fryer - I use an Instant Pot Vortex Plus 10-Quart Air Fryer with a rotisserie basket,. Other, smaller air fryers will work.
- Chopping board and knife (if your broccoli florets aren't pre-chopped)
- Measuring spoons
- Large bowl
- Box shredder, if using parmesan (optional) and it's not already shredded
Low FODMAP Air Fryer Broccoli: Ingredients & Success Tips
Garlic-infused olive oil and seasonings
To start this low FODMAP broccoli recipe, I add the following ingredients to a large bowl:
- Garlic-infused olive oil
It's amazing the amount of flavor you can enhance in something just with these three simple ingredients.
Fresh or Frozen Broccoli
I use 12 ounces (¾ pound) of fresh or frozen broccoli, chopped into florets / heads. Frozen broccoli comes pre-chopped into florets but sometimes also includes stems. If you're not wanting to risk eating the stems due to their higher fructose content, be sure the frozen broccoli you buy does not include them. See the "Is broccoli low FODMAP" section above for more information on broccoli's FODMAP content.
To make things easier, you can buy fresh broccoli pre-chopped into florets as well. It just typically costs more than buying a whole broccoli crown and chopping it yourself.
Add broccoli to the bowl with the oil mixture and toss with your hands or a spoon until evenly coated.
If your air fryer doesn't have an internal preheat function, preheat to 400°F for 10 minutes. Once preheated, add the broccoli to the air fryer basket and air fry for 6 minutes for fresh broccoli and 10 minutes for frozen broccoli, shaking the basket half way through. Cooking times will vary by air fryer model.
Once cooked, the broccoli should be tender but still a little crunchy, and deliciously brown around the edges.
If using an Instant Pot Vortex Plus 10-Quart Air Fryer:
As I use an Instant Pot Vortex Plus 10-Quart Air Fryer with an internal preheat as part of its cooking cycle, I skip the preheat step and simply:
Add the broccoli to the rotisserie basket.
Lock the lid in place.
Then, place the drip tray into the air fryer and lock the the rotisserie basket in place (see manual for specific instructions). Close the door, press the "Air Fry" button, adjust the temperature to 400°F and set the timer to 6 minutes for fresh or 10 minutes for frozen broccoli. Hit the "Rotate" and "Start" buttons. The internal preheat will start and the rotisserie basket will start rotating. Ignore the "Add Food" prompt and allow broccoli to air fry until the timer counts down to zero or it's tender and brown around the edges.
Parmesan Cheese (Optional)
This low FODMAP broccoli is great on its own without any cheese. However, if you want to add some delicious richness to it, sprinkle with shredded parmesan. Cover with a plate for a few minutes so that the parmesan melts. Skip the cheese if eating vegan, Paleo, Whole30, or dairy-free or if you're like my husband and think parmesan is gross. 😉
What can I eat this Low FODMAP Air Fryer Broccoli with?
This low FODMAP broccoli goes well with so many low FODMAP main dishes. Here are a few of my favorite pairings, most of which are also low carb / Keto:
- Instant Pot Lemon Chicken
- Grilled Pork Chops with Lemon and Sage
- Italian-Marinated Grilled Chicken Thighs
- Instant Pot Meatloaf with Mashed Potatoes and Gravy
- Juicy Turkey Burgers
This Low FODMAP Air Fryer Broccoli is an easy, healthy, and low FODMAP side dish ready in 15 minutes! Vegetarian, low carb, Keto, and gluten-free with easy Paleo, Whole30, vegan and dairy-free option.
- 12 ounces fresh or frozen broccoli florets*
- 1 tablespoon garlic-infused olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons shredded parmesan cheese (optional - omit for Paleo/Whole30/Vegan)
- If your air fryer doesn’t have an internal preheat function, preheat air fryer at 400°F for 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together garlic-infused oil, salt, and pepper. Then, add broccoli, and toss with your hands or a spoon to coat in the oil mixture.
- Pour broccoli into preheated air fryer basket or into the rotisserie basket of an Instant Pot Vortex Plus 10-Quart Air Fryer.*
- Air fry for 6 minutes for fresh broccoli or 10 minutes for frozen broccoli, tossing the basket halfway through.* Broccoli should be tender and deliciously brown around the edges.
- Remove broccoli to a bowl. If using it, sprinkle shredded parmesan on top and cover with a plate for a few minutes to allow cheese to melt. Serve with your favorite main dishes.
- Broccoli: According to Monash University's Low FODMAP Diet app, broccoli heads (or florets) contain the FODMAP fructose and are low FODMAP in servings of up to ¾ cup or 75 grams. I’ve set the serving size to ½ cup (57 grams), but if not eating anything else containing the FODMAP fructose, one can eat up to ¾ cup (75 grams) of this broccoli for a low FODMAP serving.
- Instant Pot Vortex Plus 10-quart Air Fryer: if using this air fryer model, add broccoli to rotisserie basket, lock the lid in place, and add basket to air fryer (consult your manual for specific instructions). Hit the “Air Fry” button, adjust the temperature to 400° and the timer to 6 minutes for fresh broccoli or 10 minutes for frozen broccoli. Press the “Rotate” and “Start” buttons. Air fryer will enter preheat cycle and the basket will begin to rotate. Ignore the “Add Food” prompt and continue air frying without removing the basket until timer counts down to zero or the broccoli is tender and the edges are golden brown.
- Cooking times: will vary by air fryer model.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Air Fryer
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: air fryer, easy, low fodmap broccoli