Combine the incredibly delicious flavors of chili and buffalo chicken with this Low FODMAP Buffalo Chicken Chili! This easy, mouthwatering chili can be made in the Instant Pot or slow cooker, is low FODMAP (in servings of up to 1 cup) with an easy Paleo/Whole30 option, and can be on your table in about an hour.
- 3 tablespoon ghee
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 medium stalks celery, sliced*
- 2 pounds ground chicken
- 1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 cup frozen lima beans** (optional, omit for Paleo / Whole30 option)
- 1/4-1/3 cup low FODMAP hot sauce (I use Louisiana Hot Sauce, see note)
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon dried chives
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 cup scallions, dark green parts only, chopped, plus more for optional garnish
- Fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish (optional)
Instant Pot Instructions:
- Hit "Sauté" on your 6-quart Instant Pot or 8-quart Instant Pot and add ghee to the pot.
- Once the display reads "Hot," add red bell pepper and celery and sauté for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add ground chicken and break it up into small pieces using a plastic spoon. Sauté chicken with vegetables until chicken is no longer pink, about 7 minutes.
- Hit “Cancel” on the Instant Pot. Add can of diced tomatoes with juice and, if needed, scrape the bottom of the pot clean with a plastic spoon.
- Stir in lima beans (if using them), hot sauce, coconut aminos, dried chives, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Close the lid and set the pressure release valve to "Sealing." Press the "Pressure Cook" button and set the timer for 30 minutes.
- Once the cooking cycle has completed, quick release the pressure. Open the lid.
- Stir in chopped scallions. Garnish with additional scallions and fresh cilantro leaves (optional). If not Paleo/Whole30, optionally serve with low FODMAP tortilla chips, lactose-free cheese and/or lactose-free sour cream and enjoy! Paleo / Whole30 / Low FODMAP: this chili would also go well served over a baked potato.
Slow Cooker Instructions:
- Place a large skillet on the stove top on medium high heat and add ghee to the pan. Once the skillet is hot, add red bell pepper and celery and sauté for 3 minutes. Add ground chicken to the pan and break up meat into small pieces. Sauté ground chicken with vegetables until the chicken is no longer pink, about 7 minutes.
- Add can of diced tomatoes with juice to the pan and scrape the bottom of the pan clean with a plastic spoon. Remove skillet from heat, and using a heat-resistant spatula, scrape contents into a slow cooker (I use a 6-quart Crock-Pot).
- Stir in lima beans (if using them), hot sauce, coconut aminos, dried chives, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Close lid and set timer for 6-8 hours on low or 4 hours on high.
- Once the cooking time is finished, remove lid and stir in chopped scallions. Garnish with additional chopped scallions and fresh cilantro leaves (optional). If not Paleo/Whole30, serve with low FODMAP tortilla chips, lactose-free cheese and/or lactose-free sour cream and enjoy! Paleo / Whole30 / Low FODMAP: this chili would also go well served over a baked potato.
- *Celery: per Monash University’s Low FODMAP Diet App, low FODMAP in quantities of up to ¼ medium stalk (or 10 grams) per serving. This recipe is 8, 1-cup servings total, giving each serving about ¼ of a medium celery stalk.
- **Lima beans: low FODMAP in quantities of up to ¼ cup per serving. Omit for Paleo/Whole30 option.
- Hot Sauce: I personally consider using 1/4 cup of hot sauce to be "mild" and 1/3 cup of hot sauce to be "medium," but that's obviously very subjective. Adjust to your own personal taste. See my Low FODMAP Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Tenders Salad post for a couple of low FODMAP hot sauce options.
- Please note: some people react poorly to spicy food regardless of whether it is low FODMAP. If you're concerned about your body might react, consult your doctor or dietitian before making this recipe.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Soup & Stew
- Method: Instant Pot / Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: low fodmap buffalo chicken chili, low fodmap chili, low fodmap chicken chili, low fodmap instant pot chili, low fodmap instant pot recipes, low fodmap pressure cooker recipes, low fodmap slow cooker buffalo chicken chili, low fodmap slow cooker chili, low fodmap slow cooker recipes, low fodmap paleo, low fodmap whole30, paleo chili, whole30 chili